May is national Mental Health Awareness Month, and Lake Regional is hosting multiple events to educate and discuss the complicated and often misunderstood topic of mental health.
The events scheduled are as follows:
- Mental and Emotional Wellness, May 1: A talk exploring how supportive relationships, a healthy lifestyle and other protective factors can lead to improved mental and emotional health.
- Mental Health Roundup, May 8: A two-part event discussing compassion fatigue for helping professionals and the science of addiction using medication in the recovery process.
- “Not My Child” Film Screening, May 14: A talk and film screening to help families understand substance abuse and recovery.
- Youth Mental Health First Aid, May 18: Training focusing on how to recognize signs of psychological issues, addiction challenges or other crises in adolescents ages 12 to 18.
- In Our Own Voice, May 19: A talk providing a personal perspective of mental health conditions such as major depression, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.
All events will be held in Lake Regional Hospital’s third floor conference rooms. Register online at lakeregional.com/events or call Lake Regional Community Outreach at 573-348-8222.
Lake Regional offers a variety of educational programming throughout the year, including health talks on arthritis, diabetes, heart attack and stroke. Several health fairs and screenings also are held annually throughout the lake area. For information on upcoming events, visit lakeregional.com/events.