Almost 29 million U.S. adults could benefit from using hearing aids, but only 16 percent of people between the ages of 20 and 69 who could benefit have ever used them.
Could you be one of these individuals? Answer the following questions to see.
· Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
· Do you hear better through one ear than the other when you are on the telephone?
· Do you have trouble following the conversation with two or more people talking at the same time?
· Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
· Do you have to strain to understand conversation?
· Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?
· Do you have trouble hearing in restaurants?
· Do you have dizziness, or pain or ringing in your ears?
· Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
· Do family members or co-workers remark about you missing what has been said?
· Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
· Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
· Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
· Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you answered yes to more than two of these questions, it’s important to see a certified audiologist for a hearing evaluation. Jonathan Wilson, Au.D., CCC-A, at Lake Regional ENT & Audiology is an ASHA-certified and licensed audiologist providing comprehensive audiology evaluations and treatments for adults and children. To make an appointment with him, call 573-302-2864.